2010年10月31日星期日

The Visual Essay

  I was very confused with this assignment at first because it's very different from an ordinary essay like the one we did for the 1st assignment. I've never tried visual essay in the form of slide before and I guess that is the same for most of us. More than that, the biggest problem I have encountered is the theme instead of how to present it. There are simply too many options for me!
  But the workshop on the thursday after the fall break really gave me some ideas. I presented the picture of the city where I come from and it seems that they attracted some of my classmates. Then I restricted my options to the role public art is playing in displaying the culture of a city. However, culture is a very broad term because it involves so many aspects, making it impossible to compress the slide into 10 pictures.
  The final theme I determined to do in my visual essay is Public Art and History. History is the origin of culture, culture is built based upon certain historical background. I chose 10 pictures I took before during my experience as a tour guide-by the way, back there in China I worked as a volunteer tour guide for Germans coming to visit our city-. Some of the pictures are post-processed, though they may look awkward, for example, the back-and-white picture of Dalian Hotel with modern automobile in it (I didn't realize that until I was making the presentation!).
  I'm feeling alright for my presentation, it wasn't so bad. I really dedicated to preparing for it and wrote a rough draft in order to keep my mind in pace with the slide. I think my presentation has enough transitions, good conclusions and tight relatedness to my theme. If there's something to let anybody down is that this theme is so ordinary, it reallly lacks some creativity compared to the awesome topic of Hyun Ki Lee's visual essay.

没有评论:

发表评论