2010年11月29日星期一

My First Thanksgiving In The States

    We don't have thanksgiving in our culture, nor do we have the day as a official holiday. So it's really the first time I have such day. I went to one of my roommates', Deandre's home for thanksgiving dinner. It's a unique experience for me because it's also my first time visiting an american family.
    What I'm impressed is that people are so friendly here, everybody's amicable, but not affected (something very common in chinese culture, it really makes people uncomfortable). Before the meal, the whole family came together and everybody says something about what to be thankful for. What I thank for is my family, for giving me such a great opportunity to come to this wonderful nation, to have such high-leve education and to meet so many good friends.
    What we had for the meal is soul food (traditional african-american cuisine?), which tastes really great as well as turkey (which I don't like so much...). It even includes my favorite food since 5 years old-the stewed green beans with potato :)
    The time passed quickly and I went back to dorm. I quickly found out one thing really awkward: the restaurants and stores are all closed on this day! It is a great surprise for me because in China, even on the most important day-the Spring Festival, all the public places are still open and crowded with people! Well, my lack of knowledge on american culture left me hungry the whole night until a friend of mine came by to ask me if I wanna go to Wafflehouse for dinner. Then I get to know that Wafflehouse is open 24/7 throughout the whole year (wow, unbelievable). One thing is really funny that Wafflehouse is almost occupied by Chinese students, I guess many other people aren't aware of the fact too!
    In a word my first thanksgiving here is amazing. I really enjoyed it and learned lots of things on american culture.

没有评论:

发表评论